Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Beginner Dialogues (2) - Telling the Time



Beginner Dialogues (2) - Telling the Time


What time is it? - I
Excuse me. Can you tell me the time, please?
Yes, of course. It's seven o'clock.
Thank you.
No problem.
What time is it? - II
What time is it?
It's half past three.
Thanks.
You're welcome. Key Vocabulary
Excuse me.Can you tell me the time, please?What time is it?It's half past...It's quarter past...It's ten to...It's quarter to...o'clock


How to Tell Time in English


I usually get up at a quarter past seven - that's seven fifteen in the morning. I have breakfast at eight o'clock and then take the bus to work at half past eight. I usually arrive at work at a quarter to nine. Sometimes, the bus is late and I arrive at about nine. My morning is usually pretty busy and I like taking a coffee break at twenty to eleven if possible. I then work to lunchtime at noon. In the afternoon, I usually have another break at three fifteen. I usually finish work at a quarter to five and arrive home around six in the evening. At night, I usually go to bed at eleven o'clock.

In English we use "past" to say times after the hour until half past, or 30 minutes past the hour.We use "to" to say times before the hour from 31 minutes until the full hour.In English we use o'clock only at the full hour. Example: It's eight o'clockWe can also just say the numbers in groups of two. Example: It's seven twenty-fiveWhen speaking about the different times of the day we often use: in the morning, in the afternoon, in the eveningBe careful! In English we use at night NOT in the night

No comments: